Sunday 29 September 2013

Badminton Is (Not) Child's Play

When it comes to badminton in Indonesia, these people don't play games. On Saturday night, I went with Ibu Yuyun to play at a local business park called Pusri where there are some indoor courts. Upon arrival, I was sent to play with the children. Initially, I thought this would be a great warm-up. To mess around with the little chaps before stepping up to play in the big leagues.

What actually followed was me getting schooled by a six-year-old who was one-third my height for a solid hour while I sweated through every thread of cloth on my body. Apparently there is no such thing as a height advantage in badminton. This young badminton prodigy (at least I hope he was one) thoroughly enjoyed the match-up. He giggled often while sending me running from the net to the back of the court and back to the net and so on until my half of the court was puddling-up with secretions from my exhausted body.

Lesson Learned: Badminton in Indonesia is not the silly game you play in high school gym class when you don't want to sweat too much before 6th period. It is a hot and sweaty battle not fit for the faint of heart or the lanky American guy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment