Monday 27 January 2014

Indonesian Names

Here is a list of as many Indonesian names as I can remember right now. Most of these are nicknames because that is how I know most people. Their full names are usually longer and harder to remember, so I stick with nicknames.

Ibu Tismay and I at end-of-semester
 teachers' party. I was having fun I swear.
Female:

  • Yuyun
  • Nuretta
  • Nellie
  • Cantika
  • Astria
  • Rafira
  • Ayu
  • Refa
  • Lila 
  • Ochie
  • Fiori
  • Sinta
  • Oudie
  • Indah (means 'beautiful')
  • Buanna 
  • Nurul
  • Ganesa
  • Emil
  • Yulia
  • Ade
  • Maya
  • Tismay
  • Eti
  • Yana

The nature of Indonesian culture is such that I am a lot closer to the males in my community, and thus remember a lot more male names. A lot of social and business interactions are segregated by gender and co-ed interactions usually occur in large groups. For instance I rarely ate dinner with Ibu Yuyun, my house mom, before her cousin, Pak Fadil, moved in with us. Now, I eat dinner every night with Pak Fadil, because he is a male and it is socially acceptable for us to eat alone together.

Bagus and I at our coach's wedding.
Male:

  • Adit
  • Made
  • Ryan
  • Tongku
  • Aristha
  • Rifqi (one of the most common names)
  • Riski
  • Zico
  • Arif
  • Zen
  • Iklas
  • Ali
  • Mohammad
  • Bagus (means 'good')
  • Ondet
  • Dedi
  • Budiono
  • Riduan
  • Rahmad
  • Humzalah
  • Bayu
  • Nafaldi
  • Dandi
  • Dani
  • Danu
  • Fadil
  • Moyo
  • Andre
  • Minus
  • Jeffrey
  • Aji
  • Rico
  • Ichan
  • Enal
  • Angga
  • Pagas
  • Ardie
  • Doyok
  • Harry
  • Coco
  • Randi

Interesting note: When Indonesians refer to someone shorthand, or by nickname, most of the time the derive the shortened name from the end of the word. In America, we almost exclusively use the beginning of the name. For example, to get Bagus's attention on the basketball court, you would yell "Gus!" (like goose). Pagas becomes 'gas' (long a), Rifqi becomes 'qi', Nafaldi becomes 'di', and so on.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post about Indonesian names. Also, some Indonesians don't have last name.

    ReplyDelete